vendredi 27 février 2009

What about Italian people ?

What about Italian people ?

Please ... don’t tell me that you don’t like them !
My origins are from Italy…this time I know this is true !

I am even able to pronounce my Italian name !
Like any other people , some people are “good” and other people are “bad”.
I could have prepared a list of the good ones, but it would be too long to do (ah! ah!).
Instead I found a link with the list already prepared for me : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Italians
No, I’m not « pro-Italian », I just LOVE Italy and his people.
I found some people who have the same opinion !
An American girl wrote :
“I went to Italy this past summer for two weeks. Although I only got to talk to a few, I got the impression that everyone's really relaxed and the guys love to joke. Also before I left, I always heard that Italian men love to flirt, but man, it's like a national past time there. I barely got out of the airport before someone came up to me. haha. It's also interesting to see how affection Italian men are, even compared to their women. Everyone hugs and kisses each other. It's sweet but I would never see that from a heterosexual American man. Italian women are so well-dressed and beautiful. However, it seems like that keep to themselves more compared to the men. Maybe it's because I'm a American girl that I was given the cold shoulder... but oh well. Thankfully it didn't happen too much. Most people were very friendly when I tried, I'm sure quite terribly, ask for things in Italian. And I love the fact that dinners last like three hours, it really gives you a chance to take time out of the day and spend lots of time with family and friends; I think this is a wonderful aspect of the culture. To say the least, I'm definevetely going back someday”.

Ok, Ok…this is a bit too much….. but I also heard people say that in Italy you’ve got a lot of corruption and the Mafia is present everywhere. It seems that the Mafia is present where there is no work for young people.The precise origins of the term Mafia are believed by some to originate in the 19th century, while others place it much further back in the history of Italy. Whatever the lexical origins of the term, organised crime has existed in Italy for over one hundred years and is today involved not only in common criminal activities, but also has influence in the Italian government, the judiciary and the political system.
The Italian Mafia is perhaps best known for its traditional criminal activities such as extortion and running protection rackets. Today’s Mafia in Italy, however, has become much more sophisticated and has diversified its portfolio of criminal activities. Drug dealing, kidnap, people trafficking, prostitution rackets, and the bribery of judges and politicians in Italy are all things that the Mafia deals with. But don’t worry, if you travel in Italy, you won’t be kidnapped …. If you are not in business with them, you won’t be in trouble !
I hope you have had the occasion to visit Italy, if not , it’s never too late to start !

7 commentaires:

  1. Hey Marilena! I'm sure I would be a fan of the Italians as well if indeed I had been there! I hope to go sometime soon though :)

    Just a bit of advice. For the best marks, please quote your sources if you take descriptions from other websites (ref: The Mafia). I know that you've written a lot of this post in your own style, but don't forget that the blog is a piece of university work (sorry to remind you of this boring detail!). So we need to know what you have written yourself and what is an informative extract from another website.

    Regards, and keep up the good work!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. To Dave : Thanks for your advice. I agree with you and I will be careful to quote my sources.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Ce commentaire a été supprimé par l'auteur.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. For the ones who would like to inform them about Mafia, there are a lot of films : "il padrino" of course but the film "gomorra" is very interesting about the fascination created by the Mafia on children. They admire their brother who has a weapon.
    This film is adapted form a book written by a man who lived with the Mafia. And now he has to be careful because the Mafia is looking for him...

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. I don't know very much about Italy, but as I said on the francophony forum (sorry to bother you once again with that ;)) I recommend you to listen to Blonde Redhead's music. In fact, this band is formed by twin brothers who was born and grew up in Italy before moving to America when they were teenagers. Even if they do pop-rock music,sometimes influenced by french music, there is also some kind of italian mood in it. I definately love that.

    I have also seen a few Pier Paolo Pasolini's films. I really did adore them and found them very exotics (the places, the landscapes, the people and so on).

    I hope I could go there one day.

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. ahhh stop with the francophony !!! let it go!

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. I don't know anything about Italy and Italian people as I've never been there...

    But I have already met some of them..
    Wherever I went on holiday (Prague, Tunisia, and recently Malta) they were there, I mean EVERYWHERE!! The problem is not their presence -I like seeing and meeting lots of nationalities- but the problem was their behaviour!!
    I know I'm making a generality about those people, but how come I see that everywhere?? I mean.. they don't talk, they shout! As if they where alone with nobody else around.
    and what about those groups of Italian macho men walking like they were the most handsome men in the world?? Do you call that romanticism?? I call it showing off !
    Anyway.. I have got lots of prejudicies about Italian men, and i will wait until I go to Italy to check if i'm right =)

    xx caro xx

    RépondreSupprimer