vendredi 6 février 2009

What do you think of Polish people ?

Even if I have a very…difficult (to pronounce) polish name, I’ve never been to Poland, and I don’t know a lot of things about this country and his people.
I’m wondering : why Am I writing this article ????

But I have some prejudices about them :

- Polish people are hard workers;
- they drink a lot of vodka and have a good sense of humour;
- they are sometimes racists (you do not meet black people in Poland);
- their food is very good;
- they are very religious (even too much for some people);
- they like to party (a weeding party can last 3 days !)
- they are friendly and hospitable;
- the country of Poland has an extraordinary history of oppression;
- the Polish language is rather difficult to pronounce;

What about you ?
Do you know Polish people ? Have you ever been to Poland ?

I have a joke for you :

A Polish man moved to the USA and married an American girl. Although his English was far from perfect, they got along very well. One day he rushed into a lawyer's office and asked him if he could arrange a divorce for him.The lawyer said that getting a divorce would depend on the circumstances, and asked him the following questions:
Have you any grounds?Yes, an acre and half and nice little home.
No, I mean what is the foundation of this case?It made of concrete.
I don't think you understand. Does either of you have a real grudge?
No, we have carport, and not need one.
I mean what are your relations like?
All my relations still in Poland.Is there any infidelity in your marriage?
We have hi-fidelity stereo and good DVD player.
Does your wife beat you up?
No, I always up before her.
Is your wife a nagger?
No, she white.
Why do you want this divorce?
She going to kill me.
What makes you think that?
I got proof.What kind of proof?
She going to poison me. She buy a bottle at drugstore and put on shelf in bathroom. I can read, and it say: "Polish Remover".

I’m waiting for your comments !

Marilena Andrze…jewski – Petronelli – I will go on with Italian people….

6 commentaires:

  1. I have polish blood running into my veins (my grandmother was born there then moved to France when she was a kid) but such as you, i've never been there. I'm actually a bit shameful to say I dont know much about Poland really. One of these day i'll probably go and visit tho.

    As for prejudices...hmm...Actually i dont really have any. Oh well maybe the vodka thing, and i tend to think they're all a bit peasants like :)

    Where did you get that unbelievable name from Marilena, if not from Poland?

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I have never had better holidays than in Poland!
    Polish people are warm and great.
    And for the vodka thing I must admit I did as the Polish did : I drank vodka.
    But you have to conform to the inhabitants' traditions, when travelling abroad, no?..

    It was one custom I didn't have any problem to comply with... :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I agree with Benoît, we have an expression for that: "When in Rome, do as the Romans would do" - it means that you have to join in with the traditions of a place when you are there.

    I'm not sure that Polish people are racist just because you don't see many people there with differently coloured skin!!

    England has a lot of Polish immigrants (legal and illegal) these days. I used to work with quite a fiery girl who had recently arrived from Poland. She was really cool but if you pissed her off... well, you'd regret it.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. I'm very happy to read your reactions. As I said in my article, I've never been to Poland, so I wrote things I heard of that country and his people.
    I don't think Polish people are racists, in fact my husband has his origins in Poland and he decided to choose me (ah! ah!..) and our daughter has her origins in Madagascar..Do you think this is a good proof ?
    I really like to join in with the traditions of the place where I am. The problem is I don't stand alcool very well. I am sure that to drink a good vodka would help to make friends in Poland.
    I don't think my name "Marilena" is a Polish name. It's an Italian name (I suppose so...) but who knows ?

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. I also have Polish blood running through my veins and I've never travelled there too. I don't have many prejudices about them apart that I feel really sad about what happened to this country and its inhabitants during the Second World War.
    I'd really like to discover and travel around this country.
    By the way your joke was really funny Marilena, I think it is the best way to make fun of cultures by focusing in misunderstanding due to accents...

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. xx caro xx

    hey!! I have polish origin too! Let's make a community of polish people in FLE and organize a trip there!!!
    No I'm just kidding.
    My grand mother is the polish one too and they moved to the North of France after WW2.

    I really know nothing about poland but what my grandma told me. She is the greatest woman I know, warm and sweet, and this is the idea I have about Polish people.

    The food is also excellent!! They have an amazing bread called klouski which she usually makes at Christmas.

    My Grandma also taught me some rude words (which I don't know the meaning!) they are quite fun to pronounce

    And like Laurie-Anne, I tend to see them like farmers and peasants from old time...
    I'm so not curious about Poland I feel ashamed

    Cv

    RépondreSupprimer